Troubleshooting performance issues on a MS SQL Server 2008/R2 instance running on a rebuilt MS Windows 2003 box.
And, thought of running Best Practice Analyzer against the instance.
Best Practice Analyzer
Installed the tool.
Identified Errors and Warnings
Storport driver fix from KBA 940467 missing
Category: Configuration Source: localhost Issue: The storport driver present on this system is below the recommended version 5.2.3790.4133 Impact: Using the existing version of the storport driver can lead to various server instability and integrity issues affecting SQL Server operations Resolution: For compatibility information, see KB 940467 - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;940467 and then, install the new version of the driver
Here is a short list of storport hotfixes released in 2007:
- Hotfix kb/945119
- Stop error that is related to the Storport.sys driver on a Windows Server 2003-based computer: “0x000000D1 (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4) DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL”
- Date :- Nov 14, 2007
- Version :-
- Service Pack 1 – 5.2.3790.3044
- Service Pack 2 – 5.2.3790.4189
- Hotfix Kb/940467
- MMC stops responding, or you cannot access VDS-dependent tools after you install the Storport storage driver from Microsoft Knowledge Base article 932755 in Windows Server 2003
- Date :- Aug 16, 2007
- Version :-
- Service Pack 1 – 5.2.3790.2992
- Service Pack 2 – 5.2.3790.2992
- Hotfix Kb/ 932755
- An updated Storport storage driver is available for Windows Server 2003
- Date :- Feb 13, 2007
- Version :-
- Service Pack 1 – 5.2.3790.2880
- Service Pack 2 – 5.2.3790.4021
- KB932755 was released in Feb 2007
- It caused some problems and so in Aug 2007, KB 940467 was released to fix those problems
- In Nov 2007, KB945119 was released
Visit the listed Microsoft page, and request a download.
Microsoft will send you a link per the requested bitness (32, 64, Itanium) and Language.
Check your email for link and download the patches.
Install the downloaded hotfix.
As this is heavily used file, you have to reboot your system
Validate Hotfix Install
Normally, I will say access access “Control Panel\ System \ Device Drivers”, but as this a patch\hotfix, you will not be able to validate via “Device Drivers”.
- Launch Windows Explorer
- Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers
- Select storport.sys
- Access the Version tab
- In the list of items, choose “File Version”
- We have “5.2.3790.4189 ( srv03_sp2_qfe.071114-1205 )
- Analyzing Storage Performance using the Windows Performance Analysis ToolKit (WPT)
- A hotfix is available that improves the logging capabilities of the Storport.sys driver to troubleshoot poor performance issues for the disk I/O in Windows Server 2008
3rd Party Vendor – Netapp
- List of required hotfixes for Windows Server
File System Filter Drivers
- Is there a quick way to see what FileSystem Filter drivers are loaded on Windows