Microsoft – Windows – XP – Service Pack (sp3) Install failure ( An error occurried while copying wxpsp2rd.mst)
Since yesterday, while trying to bring back a “dead” laptop, I have being getting an error stating (An error occurried while copying wxpsp2rd.mst).
Tried a few things:
- Installation via “MS Windows Update”
- Installation via downloaded Network Exe (update.exe)
- Using msconfig.exe, tried barebones startup by choosing “Selective Startup”
But, all led to frustration.
So rolled-back to SP2 by using “Control-panel” \ “Add and Remove Programs”.
Re-started install and launched SysInternals “Program Monitor”:
And, we ended up with a bit more information as to why the install was failing.
Tried a few things to be able to access c:\windows\installer\tsclientmsitrans folder, but was always denied.
The only way to gain access was to follow the steps documented in “http://geekswithblogs.net/dlussier/archive/2007/10/04/115850.aspx”
If the security tab isn’t visible on any of your folder properties in XP, you may have “Use Simple File Sharing” selected in your Folder Options.
- Open Explorer and go to Tools>Folder Options.
- Click the “View” tab and scroll to the bottom of the listbox with the heading “Advanced Settings”.
- Clear the “Use Simple File Sharing” checkbox.
Once file and folder security settings is available:
- Access the folder ( c:\windows\installer\)
- Right click on tsclientmsitrans and take ownership of that folder (by granting ownership to the Administrator group)
- With the Administrator Group having ownership you should be able to change the folder level permissions
BTW, this problem is probably due to a virus knocking out permissions on the c:\windows\installer\tsclientmsitrans folder.