Over the last couple of days, Database Maintenance job failing with “Error Code 0xC0024104”.
Elaborate Error Message:
Code: 0xC0024104 Source: Backup Task Description: The Execute method on the task returned error code 0x80004003 (Object reference not set to an instance of an object.). The Execute method must succeed, and indicate the result using an "out" parameter. End Error DTExec: The package execution returned DTSER_FAILURE (1).
Tried everything including the proverbial throwing the kitchen sink at it…
But, no help…
To make matters worse, trying to edit \ re-save the maintenance plan causes SQL Server Management Studio to hang…What to do
Within maintenance plan, explicitly chose which databases to process and that allowed saving of maintenance plan.
It seems the problem is more entrenched. And, it occurs when one tries the flexible option and chooses “All Databases” \ “System Databases” \ “All User Databases” and opts to skip “Offline” databases.
What worked for us…
- Actually drop the databases rather than just “offline” them
- Relaunch Maintenance Plan Editor, edit the plan and re-save it
- The package execution returned DTSER_FAILURE (1).
- Maintenance plan fails for shrink db
- Unable to back up SQL Server databases using a maintenance plan